Other branches of the pipeline supplied the garden and Home Farm. Before the sale of the property in 1922 St Brides Rectory was connected to the main. This was by an agreement between the Sixth Baron and the Representative Body of the Church in Wales, signed in January 1921. When the Castle was officially opened as a Hospital on June 12th 1923 it too was to benefit from a good supply of fresh water piped from the Pump-house.
In the year 2000 it was hoped that the Pump-house Project would be completed for Easter 2001 in time to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the formation of the Friends of Pembrokeshire National Park. The AGM was planned for Saturday April 28th 2001 at St Brides Castle and after much hard work everything was ready for the opening of the Pump-house that afternoon. It was just as this ceremony was starting that the news was brought of Bob Powell's death at Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest. All present stood in silence as a mark of respect to a man who had made such an enormous contribution to the Friends and to the National Park as a whole for many years.
Chairman John Ratcliffe welcomed members and guests who included Councillor Cawood, Nic Wheeler, National Park Chief Executive, and David Harries fromTexaco's Pembroke Plant, without whose support the Project would not have been possible.
The Pump-house was then officially opened by Gordon Cawood, Chairman of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority, who praised the restoration work on the Pump-house and the transformation of a derelict property to what is virtually a new Information Centre for the St Brides area. Thanks were also due to Roger Hiscock and Brian Southern of the National Park's Graphic Services Department who coordinated the preparation of the display panels illustrated by Jean Pugh and whose advice and professionalism were vital to the Project.
Since the opening Lionel White, supported by Arthur Bebbington, has continued his work on the engine and pump, acquiring and fitting several replacement parts. In October 2003 Lionel reported that the engine had been run on twelve separate occasions during the year with a total running time in excess of eight hours but that work was still required on the pump.
|FACTS & FIGURES|